/

/
.





































.
.





























.

An Unsung Hero


There are all types of men in the world that people hold up as heroes. Police Men are there to protect us. Firemen are there to save us. Soldiers are there to defend us. And sure, these men have every right to be proud of who they are and what they do. But there is a man in my life that has never received the full credit that he deserves. An unsung hero that has protected, has defended, and has sacrificed everything so that I could one day know what kind of guy to look for as a husband and what kind of dad I want for my children. He has been an example to me all of these years, and now more than ever, I have come to realize how very much I love him.

A Letter to My Dad


Daddy,

I'm not sure if I have ever told you this, but I have thought it many times. I am so proud to be your daughter. I am proud of who you are and the values that you worked so hard to instill in me. In all of my 26 years of life, I have never witnessed you treat my mother with anything but respect and honor. I have watched you work long and hard hours so that our family could be comfortable and safe. I have learned from you, some of the most important lessons in life- like how to have patience, how to control your tongue, and how to tell if a snake is poisonous. ;)

Now that I am grown and understand what it truly means to be true to yourself, I know that you have always been such a selfless man who has never had to pretend to be anything that you are not. You have never held anything over my head to make me feel like I would owe you, or to make me feel like I am putting a burden on you, you always give with all of your heart. It makes me so sad to see other dads that can't have a real, deep, loving relationship with their kids unless they have something empty like sports or cars to talk about. I feel like our relationship goes far beyond the surface of what a father and daughter are suppose to be. When I am upset, you are the calming voice in my ear. When I am hurt, you are the man that I can count on to protect me and defend me no matter what. You truly are my hero in so many ways.

Thank you for showing me that you can be a strong person and also be a quiet, gentle man. Thank you for always loving my mother so much, and showing me that people who have been married for 32 years can really be best friends and that you still look at her with the same light in your eyes that you did the day you got married. Thank you for teaching me how to work for the things that I want and not wait for others to give it to me. Thank you for not ever making me into who you want me to be, but let me find myself ... and still love me.

I'm so sorry for all of the years that I have let slip by that I was too much of a rebellious teen, or too much of a college drama queen to just hold your hand and tell you how much I love you. I enjoy all of the time that I get to spend with you. Whether it is in your truck playing "name that song", at the deer lease fishing, or playing uno (your favorite game..haha), all of those times make me feel loved by you. And that is important. That is something that every little girl and every grown woman needs. I remember one day we were driving in your truck and you told me all about your days as a Highway Patrol officer. You told me about training for that and about your jobs afterward like the one where you wore bluejeans into the interview and said you were ready to work. I remember driving through Athens and you telling me all about Papaw and your family. Those are times where I feel like I get to see the heart of you, and I love those moments.

I know I'm not the best daughter in the world. I know I probably don't call and talk to you enough, or set aside time where it can be just us going shooting or fishing at the river. But my heart never leaves you. And I hope that I have learned enough from you to make you proud. And I hope that Grandma Maurine would be proud of the relationship that you have with me. And I hope that even though you have seen me grow up, walked me down the isle, and watched me become a wife and someday a mother,... I hope that I will always be your little girl.

I love you more than you will ever know.



 
Share Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts!